Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Television

Somehow when I am with my friends the conversation always turns to television; especially since fall TV started back up recently. While thinking more about it I have formed a rather cynical opinion.

All TV seems to be some sort of copy. This may be obvious to a lot of you but I started thinking about how many of the shows I love are just like the old shows I used to watch. For instance, if you like any of the CSIs then you might like an old show called Murder She Wrote. Like Knight Rider? Well, check our Knight Rider then. And of course, the old Knight Rider is the better of the two.

There are a few shows that seems to have a new grip on what a television show can be. Lost is one of them. Even though Lost seems to have weakened in the past year I think it is one of the most unique shows I've ever seen. The first 2 or 3 seasons were incredibly gripping. Not knowing who or what was out there was very fascinating. Another show I like is called the Fringe, which from what I understand is written by some of the same people from Lost. And guess what, it's a lot like Lost.

One show I like less and less is Heroes. After Monday's(10.20) episode I like this season a little better but I still feel like it is getting very weak overall. When so many people have so many powers it's amazing that it takes so much crap for anything to get done. I don't know what Peter does stay invisible, paint anything he is about to do, and just control everyone's mind when he is around. How his dad stole his abilities just makes me laugh.

One thing that I think is hurting TV while also helping it is the DVD. I love to watch shows on DVD because there is no wait but how long do you think it will take before they put commercials on those blessed discs. There are already commercials to watch when you go to Hulu.com, which is another complaint itself. Some would argue that putting shows out on DVD increases your fan base, which it just might. I just know that I got into Lost on DVD and now that I have to wait for weaker episodes makes me not as much of a fan anymore.

Here is my DVR list (inlcuding shows yet to premiere):

Monday - Heroes and My Own Worst Enemy and CSI: Miami

Tuesday - The Fringe

Wednesday - Kight Rider and Reno 911

Thursday - Smallville and The Office and Lost

Friday - Battlestar Galactica

UPDATE: I just watched The Fringe for this week and the main character tried to kill her step-father because he would get drunk and beat her mother. As I mentioned before this show was created by the same people who brought us Lost. Does this character sound like Kate to anyone else? Really original...

1 comment:

Bridgette said...

I do have to say that Philip and I got hooked on Battle Star Galactica because we watched the first season on DVD. Making the switch to live television was really hard.

We now are watching LOST and 24 on DVD and we aren't really interested in catching up. We are really spoiled by no commercials and the instant gratification of watching two or three episodes at once.